RWBY Volume Four- A Review

William Borusiewicz, Staff Writer

RWBY is a web-series produced by Rooster Teeth that follows four girls as they train to battle a group of beasts that go by the name of The Grim and other forces that threaten their world. In the latest season, we follow the lives of the four girls after their lives are shattered to pieces from a cataclysmic event that took place months before.

RWBY draws much of its character designs and visual elements from famous fairy tales. The four main girls are based on Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, Belle from Beauty and The Beast, and The Ice Queen, and the new season gives them newer, more mature designs. This touch is consistent with the prevalent themes of growth and maturation found in the show. For this season, more color was added to the backdrops to add to the storybook aesthetic, which is quite effective.

In this season, we watch as the characters attempt to maintain normal lives. They are broken and they each show it in their own ways. One tries to deny what changes have occurred and push forward, but another wallows in those same problems. It is interesting to see tragedy being met with completely different reactions.

The show’s action is its best aspect. Nothing feels staged. Every hit feels like it is being done on the spot by the characters. The action is best when limited to two characters. It’s exciting to see the strategies each character employs while fighting and the creative ways they use their weapons. For example, Yang is a much more brash person who is willing to do anything and isn’t afraid of failing. When she fights she doesn’t think before attacking. She tries to move faster and hit harder than her enemy.

RWBY is a fantastic show that shouldn’t be ignored simply because it is online or because it appears to be unconventional. The latest season is both a departure from popular television and from the show’s previous seasons. It is entirely possible that you may not be the biggest fan of some change, but I implore you to look at it with fresh eyes. This season represents a change in the characters and the show. I urge you to watch this series; it is phenomenal.