2017 Eagles Mock Draft

Sean Brennan, Staff Writer

Round 1 (14 overall): WR Corey Davis, Western Michigan

The Eagles signed Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith on the first day of free agency, but they were only signed to one-year deals. Smith has options to play in 2018 and 2019, but that will be determined by the way he plays this year, of course. Wide receivers are still a big need on this team, even with the signings. Howie Roseman has said that he wants Carson to have weapons around him, so drafting Davis would achieve this end. Having a receiver core with Alshon, Matthews, Smith, Davis, and Agholor could be special group complemented by Zach Ertz and Darren Sproles. The Eagles’ passing game could quickly turn around in one year. Do the Eagles need to address other needs before receiver? Yes, but the Eagles also can’t miss in the first round, and Corey Davis is likely the best player available, given the Eagles’ spot in the draft

Round 2 (43 overall): CB Marlon Humphrey Alabama

Humphrey is one of the better corners in the draft class, and he performed very well at the combine. He ran a 4.41 40-yeard dash, which was sixth for all cornerbacks this year. Just because Humphrey can run fast doesn’t mean he won’t attack in the open field. The way he is able to help against the run might be his most unique trait. He will find the ball and strip it loose. Humphrey forced three fumbles last year for the Crimson Tide and had 13 passes defended. He might need time to grow into a true number one corner, but everything you see from the kid will excite you as a fan and coach. He’s a hard worker and comes from a great background.

Round 3 (74 overall): RB Joe Mixon Oklahoma

Admittedly, Mixon has some questionable character issues. Mixon would probably hear his name called in the first round if he hadn’t punched a girl in the head three years ago. He was suspended the entire 2014 season but received a redshirt from Oklahoma. Don’t get me wrong, things like this are not what I like to see, but Mixon is the one that wanted the video to be released to the public, which suggests he has matured since then. Just last year the Eagles took three players in the draft that had “character problems”: Wendell Smallwood, Jalen Mills and Alex McCalister. Despite Mixon’s problems, he still might hear the Eagles call his name called on draft night.

Regarding his talent, Mixon can change the game in many ways. He has average vision, good speed to take the ball the distance, and great hands. Mixon has a quick burst, which makes him adept at finding and pursuing the hole. His build allows him to take hits and keep going. Arm tackles don’t bring Mixon down, and his footwork is the best in the class. Lastly, the way he is able to block as a running back is seldom seen from young players.

Round 4 (118 overall): CB Jourdan Lewis Michigan

Lewis stands at only 5’10”, which is what makes him a mid-round pick. Lewis won’t be an outside corner in the league, but he has foot quickness to play the slot at the next level. He is one of the better man-to-man cover corners in this class. He may not last this long in the draft, but the way Lewis plays is exactly what Jim Schwartz wants. Lewis plays with a lot of confidence and aggression. Sometimes, he gets burnt as a result, but Schwartz wants corners to make plays and be quick-minded. Lewis would be the slot from day he steps on the field.

Round 4 (139 overall): G Isaac Asiata Utah

Asiata plays into the Eagles favor because he has experience starting at both guard and at center while at Utah. The Eagles seem to like interior linemen who can be moved around. The Eagles currently have a log jam at both guard and center, but that would only lead me to believe one guy is moved. The odd man out seems to be Jason Kelce, even though Howie Roseman has said he won’t release him. I think Kelce has to be traded sometime soon, since the Eagles seem to prefer Isaac Seumalo at center. Asiata would likely sit most of his rookie year, but with a year under his belt, he could become a starter and replace a guy like Allen Barbre. Drafting lineman isn’t a bad move, and Asiata could pan out to be a steal in this draft.

Round 5 (155 overall): DT Charles Walker Oklahoma

To say Walker is talented would be an understatement. He only started a few games at Oklahoma because he left the school with two games remaining to focus on the draft. His overall character is in question, and he isn’t known as a hard worker, but that doesn’t mean the NFL isn’t interested by any means. With the right coaching, Walker could turn into a force to be wrecking with. The most intriguing part of Walker’s game is his speed. He ran a 4.96 40 at the combine, and with that speed, he will be able to catch running backs in the back field. Walker is an interesting prospect who could help the team as a backup or even starter.

Round 6 (194 overall): WR KD Cannon, Baylor

Cannon is nothing short of a phenomenal athlete. He ran a 4.41 40-yard dash, which is impressive. He will definitely be able to stretch the field and could be the replacement for Torrey Smith, if things don’t work out. For now, he will end up on the practice squad to hone his skills, specifically his route-running ability. With his speed, though, it’s difficult to overthrow him, and he is great at tracking the ball in the air. I would take a shot on Cannon.  The Eagles need receivers, and Cannon could actually turn into a valuable part of this team a few years.

Round 7 (230 overall): EDGE Garrett Sickels, Penn State

Usually, a guy that leads the Big Ten in quarterback pressures would be higher on people’s boards, but that’s not the case for Sickels. He is only effective as a passing down edge rushers but could still get bullied by bigger, better lineman en route to the quarterback. Sickels won’t be outworked, he rarely gets tired in games, and he uses his hands better than most. Might need a year on the practice squad, but he could turn into an effective pass rusher in the NFL.