Jennifer’s Study Abroad Journey (Part 4)

The K-Pop girl group AOA has been nominated for eight music and entertainment awards in South Korea, wining their first number 1 in 2014.

Jennifer Han, Staff Writer

Do you like to listen to music? What’s your favorite song? Pop, Country, Classic, Jazz, Disco… there are a lot of different genres.

For this article, I want to introduce a new type of genre to you: K-Pop. According to Wikipedia, K-Pop is a music genre originating in South Korea that is characterized by a wide variety of audiovisual elements. Put simply, K-Pop is pop music in South Korea.

Not really familiar with this word? I still bet you’ve listened to one K-Pop song in your life. Have you ever heard of or listened to Gangnam Style by Psy? That’s one of the most well-known K-Pop songs. Of course, not every K-Pop song is that interesting or crazy. Some K-Pop songs are about love and some are about life.

Do Korean people only listen to K-Pop all the time? The answer is no. Surprisingly, Korean people also listen to American songs! There are many Koreans who like to listen to American pop songs more than Korean pop songs.

When I was younger, K-Pop was my life. There were a bunch of K-Pop boy bands such as Big Bang and Superjunior and K-Pop girl bands such as Girls’ Generation and 2NE1. So I used to argue with my friends about my favorite band. Those were the only conversations I had when I was in grade school.

However, nowadays people listen to American Pop. I believe it is because Korean people started to get interested in American culture such as movies, foods, fashions, and music.

As I mentioned, there are so many K-Pop bands. There were only five or seven bands when I was younger but now there are approximately 50 bands. People’s interest in K-pop is getting bigger and bigger as much as the increasing of the number of bands. People want to use the same makeup tools or hair supplies because they want to become K-Pop members in a certain group.

Fashion is not an exception. People pay attention to the fashion brands that famous K-Pop bands wear. So if you just started a fashion brand in Korea and want people to buy clothes in your brand, then you might want to hire a famous K-Pop band for the commercial.

Not only Korean people but also many people in different countries have started to pay attention to K-Pop songs and bands. The countries such as China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Canada, USA, and many South American countries are the main countries that K-Pop is popular. I could find some people who know and love K-Pop even at school.

You might think the popularity of K-Pop is not really a big deal but it is to Korea. Thanks to K-Pop, lots of people in different countries start to recognize Korea and learn Korean language and cultures. More people want to come and visit Korea. Thanks to K-Pop, Korea’s economy has started to increase. Because of this, there are a lot of people in Korea who are proud of K-Pop culture.

I am one of the people that are proud of K-Pop culture. I, as an international student from South Korea, highly recommend you listen to K-Pop.