Students get rare opportunity to speak with award-winning author

Students from Mr. Mullarkey's honors classes had the opportunity to ask author Sam Quinones about his best-selling book, Dreamland.

Mr. Mullarkey

Mr. Mullarkey

David Zurowski, Special Contributor

On Monday March 27, Mr. Mullarkey’s honors ELA classes got to enjoy a rare experience video chat with an award winning author.  Sam Quinones, author of Dreamland, is a reporter turned author from Los Angeles, California.  A University of California, Berkeley graduate, Quinones is well known not only for his books but also for his career in journalism.  Quinones spent ten years as a reporter for the Los Angeles Times covering immigration-related stories which was preceded by ten years in Mexico where he worked as a freelance reporter.

Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic focuses on the connection between the use of prescription opiates and heroin addiction.  A portion of the story deals with a working class town in southern Ohio – Portsmouth.  Once a thriving community, Portsmouth experienced an economic collapse followed by an influx of heroin dealers.  Of course, this problem is not only found in southern Ohio; Dreamland shows areas all throughout the country where opiates have wreaked havoc.  Perhaps the most important of the many aspects concerning the epidemic book explores is that of the wrongdoing and carelessness of major pharmaceutical companies.  In this Quinones illustrates the hand-in-hand role of pharmaceutical companies and street dealers fueling the opiate epidemic we are currently faced with.

A book as engaging as this will often times leave readers with an abundance of questions upon completion.  Luckily for Mr. Mullarkey’s classes, Sam Quinones agreed to an hour long Skype session in attempt to answer some of the student’s burning questions.  A lucky few were selected to go in front of the camera and ask Quinones the list of questions formed by our students, myself included.  Topics of discussion varied widely from the unique organization of the book to backlash and policy reform of the pharmaceutical companies.  Quinones was happy to answer our questions to the fullest of his expertise on the matters and enjoyed seeing so many young students interested in such a prevalent topic in today’s society.  It was a great experience that our students were grateful to get to enjoy.