Four Prospects Who Should Interest the Eagles

Sean Brennan, Staff Writer

Marshon Lattimore

After the Sidney Jones injury, Lattimore was looked at as the easy number one cornerback in this draft class. If the Eagles want Lattimore, they will probably have to trade up for him. Lattimore ran a 4.36 40-time, and he had one of the best board jumps in the combine with his 132-inch jump. Lattimore has the athleticism, hips, and footwork to be a shut down in this league. In his only year as a starter at OSU, Lattimore led the Buckeyes in passes defended (13) and was second in interceptions (4). The lack of playing time is mostly due to his hamstring issues, but that shouldn’t be much of a concern going forward. I compare Lattimore to Janoris Jenkins because they have the similar coverage and athleticism. Lattimore is reminiscent of a taller Leon Hall who was one of the better cornerbacks in the league for a six-year stretch. Regardless, the Eagles need cornerbacks, and Lattimore could finally be a long-term answer for the Eagles, who have struggled to replace Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown.

John Ross

John Ross could turn out to be the most exciting player in this draft. The Eagles are still in need of receivers, even with the signings of Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith; both were signed to one-year deals. Drafting Ross would bring a level of depth to the Eagles that they haven’t had since DeSean Jackson. Ross ran a 4.22 40-yard dash at the combine, but he is more than just a speedster; he is one of the better route runners in this year’s draft. Ross uses his speed to make double moves look easy and effortless. Drafting Ross in the first round is a move that would raise some eyebrows, but his ability to change the game is worth the risk.

Derek Barrett

With Howie Roseman and Joe Douglas in charge of the draft, the Eagles could get back to their old ways by drafting linemen early in the draft. The Eagles handed Vinny Curry a five-year $47.25 million dollar contract last offseason, so drafting an edge rusher might not be a move that makes sense on paper, but Curry was a major disappointment last year, only recording 2.5 sacks. The Eagles need to build the defense, and Barnett would provide another pass rusher for the Eagles. Bennie Logan left in favor of Kansas City, so the hole at defensive tackle is immense. Jim Schwartz likes to move Curry around the defensive line, and he wasn’t shy to put him at tackle next to Fletcher Cox. Now, back to Barnett; he is better against the run than the pass, but he is definitely capable of being a double-digit sack holder in this league. For these reasons, the Eagles should take a chance on him.

Reuben Foster

Beast is a word that is not said often, but Foster fits the description. Foster is a beast who will clean up anything that comes his direction on the field. If you want to watch a linebacker that plays with aggression, just google “Reuben Foster,” and click on the first video highlight you see. Matching Foster with Jordan Hicks in the middle and Nigel Bradham on the other side could yield the best linebacker trio in football. The Eagles rush defense would improve immensely, even with the loss of Bennie Logan. When you look at his scouting report one of the only negatives is, he plays too aggressive at times. As an Eagles fan, sign me up for Rueben Foster any day in the first round. Watching Foster, I see a young Patrick Willis in the making.